BLOG and Discussion
The largest obstacle in embracing your brace is keeping a healthy mentality. Don’t allow the frustration and irritation to take over. It’s your back, own it. Be confident and proud- the mental battle is the most important part.
- When shopping, don’t let your mentality turn completely negative. You’ll start to reject every article of clothing without even trying it on. Be patient and try them anyways, you may be surprised with what you can wear.
- Personally, what I hated most about my brace was its ability to take away all of my confidence. Finding clothes that worked well with my brace was what made me confident again. Find what keeps you confident and use it to your advantage.
- Until you’re comfortable with it, it’s perfectly alright to not openly talk about your brace with peers or classmates. However, don’t forget that your brace doesn’t take away from you. It’s nothing to be afraid of or ashamed of.
- The easiest way to bring about your brace in conversation is to casually reference it. Simply saying “I have abs of steel” or “try to punch me” is a surprisingly effective way in making light of the situation and explaining your brace to friends or anyone else.
- I have long hair, so if ever I feel self conscious about a part of my brace or clothes, I use it to hide whatever I’m self conscious about.
- Although you are exceedingly aware of your brace, it’s surprising how many people around you are completely unaware of it. Nobody is staring at you because of it- they don’t even know it’s there.
- Embrace your brace or else it’ll begin to become the bane of all your problems.
- Have a motivation to wearing your brace, whether that be wanting new out-of-brace clothes, or playing a sport.
- Your brace can easily transform into the source of anxiety, frustration, or anger. Don’t let it. Take charge of it.
Read other Posts
Read other posts, share your thoughts and discuss. Let's build a community of support.
Today I got a new scoliosis brace- my fourth to date. I'm fortunate to have a rather low-profile back scoliosis brace (my third one) and in some ways, my fourth is more so. It hugs closer to my body and sticks out less because of it. However, my fourth is bulkier in...
To non-brace-wearers, plain white tees seem to be a staple article of clothing in one's wardrobe. They're cute, versatile, and simple. They can be dressed up or dressed down. They are, put simply, quite the necessity. However, if your experience has been anything like...