BLOG and Discussion
Discomfort & Pain
Physically, the brace can be taxing. Here are a few tips that may help your body adjust, or help you avoid unnecessary pains.
- Wearing a cami or tank top underneath your brace helps avoid scarring or bruising that the brace may cause. If your brace pushes on the wires of the cami and cause discomfort, try wearing something made of a stocking material with no wires.
- If you experience extended pain/discomfort, take your brace off for a few minutes to rest before putting it back on. Easing yourself into wearing it for longer periods of time allows your body to adjust to it easier.
- In regards to Tip 2 above, the same can be done at school. Just go to the bathroom and take it off for a little while before putting it back on and returning to class.
- Avoid belts if you can- they can press into your skin because of the brace and cause a lot of pain.
- The more you wear your brace, the more your body adjusts to it and the less discomfort it will cause. Avoiding wearing it will do nothing but harm.
Read other Posts
Read other posts, share your thoughts and discuss. Let's build a community of support.
Today I got a new scoliosis brace- my fourth to date. I'm fortunate to have a rather low-profile back scoliosis brace (my third one) and in some ways, my fourth is more so. It hugs closer to my body and sticks out less because of it. However, my fourth is bulkier in...read more
To non-brace-wearers, plain white tees seem to be a staple article of clothing in one's wardrobe. They're cute, versatile, and simple. They can be dressed up or dressed down. They are, put simply, quite the necessity. However, if your experience has been anything like...read more
Wearing a brace may be painful and especially uncomfortable when you first begin wearing it….read more
Some may ask what to expect the first time wearing a scoliosis brace….read more
How do you deal with the hot weather during summer with your brace on?read more
When were you first diagnosed? When did you start wearing a brace and what was it like? What’s your story?read more
What types of clothes have you found that work really well with your brace?read more
Be confident and proud- the mental battle is the most important part.read more
Shopping for the right clothes to conceal your brace and keep you comfortable and confident can be the hardest part about having a back brace. Hopefully these tips can help you find clothes that fit your style and your brace!read more
Scoliosis (sko-lee-O-sis) is a disorder in which there is a sideways curve of the spine, or backbone. Curves are often S-shaped or C-shaped. In most people, there is no known cause for this curve. This is known as idiopathic (id-ee-o-PATH-ik) scoliosis.read more